Friday, May 8, 2015

Some Recent, Personal Thoughts on Fandoms...


I don't know about you, but I've been a bit bitter about something lately...

Fandoms.

Now, like any person out there, am I a fan of something. My biggest passions are Disney and animation, second to that are things like music, collecting stuff, film, art, and autos, among other things...

But yet lately, I've been thinking about my "place" of sorts as a "fan" of something...

As I've matured over the years, I've seen how fandoms can be. Even in my post-high school life, I learn more and more about fandoms and how to look at them...

I've come down to a possible conclusion that fandoms can really be treehouses...

What do I mean by treehouses?

Well, when you're a kid and there's a treehouse, the other kids who are inside will only let you into the treehouse if you are "cool" enough or to their liking.

A lot of fandoms, from my experience, are like that too. It can hurt at first, being excluded or ignored or even spited by members of a fandom - if not people who make the very things that the fandom is based around...

But why do they do this... Is the bigger question? Why do people, for instance, dislike a fellow fan for embracing something a way that's different from his or her own? Why do fans dog on fans who may not like a certain thing that a creator/person makes/does? Why do some fans act rudely towards other fans just for existing?

And also... Who are fans to call someone else an "untrue" fan of something?

If someone doesn't know as much about a certain thing as you do, they can certainly still be a fan. They just have to learn things they didn't know before, that's all. Why be condescending to those types? Also, why disrespect their opinion and them? Even worse, if you make the things a fandom loves, why act like that? I think you should know better...

I'm no saint. I used to rag on certain kinds of Disney fans, but I was mostly aiming that venom towards their views... But I stepped back after getting similar flack and I realized... "Hey! They're people too! They just happen to embrace something differently..."

Then I look at other fandoms, I got the idea. Now I try not to get on people for having different views on things I love... It takes all kinds to make a world...

So... I don't want to be part of a treehouse. I don't need to "belong" to a group that deems me acceptable or cool or worthy. I love what I love, know so much about it, and am eager to find out new things about said thing... I think that makes me a fan of something, no? I think it does, and I think it makes you a fan too. So love what you love, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Treehouses, aside from ones adults build for fun/personal pleasure, are for little kids who don't know what the real world is like, why would you want to join some "cool" people club? Kids do that, adults - I feel - should know that they don't need to "belong" to something in order to validate themselves or their love for something...

Next time a fan of something or even a creator knocks you down for your take on something you love, keep loving it. You are not a bad person...

No comments:

Post a Comment